We refer to an article published on Mongabay on 14 September headlined Liberia land policy a ‘challenge to national development’. Sime Darby Plantation would like to categorically state that it is not involved in any ‘land grabs’. The company only develops land where it has the free, prior and informed consent (FPIC) of affected communities.
We would also like to clarify other inaccuracies in the article:
1. Statement: Sime Darby, a Malaysian oil company and citizens of Grand Cape Mount county have on several occasions had bitter disputes Actual situation:
2. Statement: the company has gone beyond the boundary as spelled out in the agreement
3. Statement: the company is destroying their farmlands
4. Statement: residents don’t know exactly how many hectares of land was granted to Sime Darby by the government
5. Statement: the company expanding its plantation every year
|Year Planted||Oil Palm||Rubber||Oil Palm Rubber|
|TOTAL PLANTED HECTARAGE||10330||107||10437|
*Land clearing and planting stopped due to Moratorium in September 2014
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.